Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wednesday Walk in the Garden

Since nothing new seems to be in bloom this week, I thought I would give you a hosta tour...

While my house is essentially a cross (it used to be a parsonage), there were lots of little crooks and crannies around the perimeter of the house and I am slowly working to fill those in with gardens so that the mowing is a little easier and the foundation is a lot prettier.


This hosta garden was planted 3 or 4 summers ago and has filled in nicely. Looks like I need to do some weed control along the little stone wall. Last summer I added the bee balm but I think it's coming out because it just looks too messy among the hosta blossoms. On the right side, behind the sedum, is one of my mini hostas, "Raspberry Sherbet." Next to it, but not in the pic is my "Green Eyes" which is struggling this year and I think it's because the chocolate mint went viral. I'm thinking of moving both mini hosta to the other garden I'll show just because they'll be more visible.


This garden is on the other side of the house and does get a bit more sun each day. This garden is only a year old and really hasn't filled in yet. Of course, that could also be because I am still adding and removing plants! There are only 4 hosta and 3 are pretty standard, altho one has a really nice dark purple flower.


This, however, is my "Sum & Substance" hosta which will be quite large some day. It's probably a little hard to see, but maybe you can gauge the leaf size to the lily flower in the background - they are quite large. Even more exciting to me is the 2 flower stems that are coming out because they also are quite large. I don't think it's blossomed before even tho I've had this plant 3 years now. Mom doesn't care for hosta blossoms but I like them, especially for cut flower displays.


This bud is bigger than my thumb and still growing.



5 comments:

Sheila said...

Your hosta's are beautiful; they are my husbands favorite plant. He can't have enough of them.. Thanks for sharing.

Janet O. said...

I didn't know there were so many varieties of hosta.

Denise :) said...

All so pretty! You've really got a green thumb, don't you??! :)

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so fresh and beautiful.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your hostas look great and what a neat bud on the last one! I used to have Bee Balm and took it out as it was too invasive. Great rocks too!